Thursday, October 7, 2010

The year of living biblically

Better late than never.
I read this book earlier this year and it is GENIUS!
So this guy, A. J. Jacobs, decides to do something and then he writes about it, well... he writes during the experiment. First he wrote The know-it-all, where he reads the entire brittanica encyclopedia, he also wrote other books that you can check in the link attached (http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp); and the last one, the one that  I read, he takes the bible and lives it as literally as possible for a year.
It all starts because he has a kid now and he has no idea how to aproach the moral and religion part of education, him being a non-practicant Jew.
He spent 8 months on the old testament and 4 in the new, taking size into consideration.
He stops shaving, stops touching women cuz they might be impure, "stones" an adulterer (not to death) but he was a 70 year old man. I think my favourite part is when he goes to this party only for men, and like... jumps around and dances and feels so free. Reading about his emotions during this part of his year is so funny and envigorating, like, I also got so excited he was dancing and jumping around with 1-foot-bearded strangers jijiji.
The best thing about this book, is that it qoutes so many crazy parts of the bible, parts that one would not imagine they exist, specially in the old testament... I bought a Bible so I could follow, this is how much I liked this book.
Also, I would go around the city, in the Ubahn or the tram and like... laugh out loud, not a simple smile, but a laugh, people would stare at me and then look at the cover of my book and just like.. give me the evil eye or something jajajajaja.
This is a genius book, because regardless of what it may seem, it is not like some mormon coupple beating you with the Bible in the head, no, it has a very funny aproach and one can appreciate the change that he suffers. 

I totally recomend it, it is genius. Thanks Tinabee for lending it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment