Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mérida en Domingo



My beautiful Mérida has eventful Sundays! I decided to give these Sunday plans a try.
One sunny, warm and delicious Sunday morning I woke up early,  put on my tennis shoes and headed for “Paseo de Montejo”, the most beautiful street in the city. on Sundays they close it and make a “bici-ruta” where people can bring or rent their bikes, or just walk and go up and down the street; they can bring their dogs and have lots of family fun. It is very cool to see families hanging out in this manner, just walking up and down the street on a Sunday morning.
I didn’t take my bike, because I do not have one on this side of the Atlantic, but I found one in the end, for free, from one of the phone companies. It was a crappy bike, but still, it was fun fun.


After a while, my mom and an aunt that was visiting from Mexico city, came and got me and we continued on to the city center where there settles a little market full of curiosities, crafts, clothes, jewelry and the like; most of them handmade, traditional looking and basically… just fun. We walked around, got some pearl items, some herbal teas and delighted ourselves on the show. Yes, there is a show!! We got to see some man singing “canciones rancheras”, which are the charro songs: big hat, boots with spurs, those tight pants full of buttons, mariachi like stuff.
The best part of these events is the food!!, as always in México. The Mexican food, I believe, is the best in the world! I ate marquesitas (like an ice cream cone in the shape of a crêpe with gouda-like cheese in the center), coconut sorbet, esquite (boiled corn with chili powder, lemon, soup cheese, cream.. delicious!!!).
After that, there was too much heat and we had to leave! So we moved into the comfort of the air conditioned car and back home for some fresh lemonade!
I love eventful Sundays.
Cocunut sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment